Regalia and Memorabilia

The Feoffees are the proud owners of a solid silver Mace, a 15ct gold chain of office and a gold and enamel medallion which hangs from the chain. All of these were presented between 1905 and 1906. They also have two medallions, and the die of the reverse of these medallions, which were presented to commemorate the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902. All of these items are on display in Rotherham Town Hall.

The Chain

In 1906, P. Bancroft Coward Esq., presented a 15ct gold chain of office to the Feoffees. This chain is recognized as being Elizabethan in character and made up of rounded links which join twenty one shields that have rounded terminals. The 21 shields represent the number of years that Mr. Bancroft-Coward had been Law Clerk to the Feoffees. (Peter Bancroft Coward was Greave in 1920 and 1929).

The chain is joined at the front by a large oval centre link which is emblazoned with the coat of Arms of Queen Elizabeth I in recognition of the Charter she signed in 1589. The back of this centre link is inscribed ‘Presented to the Feoffees of the Common Lands by their Law Clerk, P. Bancroft Coward, Nov 1906’.

The Gold Medallion

C. H. Moss Esq., who was Greave in 1905, 1911 and 1917, presented a gold and enamel badge to the Feoffees, to hang from the chain. The badge can also be worn on a ribbon around the neck on occasions where the chain and badge would be inappropriate.

The enameling on the front of the badge is a depiction of Rotherham’s Chapel on the Bridge, the coat of arms of Robert Swyft is on the right and also that of Thomas Rotherham when he was Archbishop of York on the left.

The motto of the Feoffees, ‘non nobis sed omnibus’ – 'not for us but for everyone' is at the bottom of the medallion.

The reverse of the badge is inscribed denoting it was gifted by C. H. Moss Esq. 

The Feoffees Mace

Colonel C. J. Stoddart V.D., J.P. (who was knighted in 1911) was the Mayor of Rotherham in 1906 and he presented a magnificent solid silver Mace to the Feoffees. The manufacture of the Mace was undertaken by John Mason, Jewellers of Rotherham.

It is elaborately decorated and again the design reflects the Elizabethan period with a circular head crowned with a circlet of trefoils and fleurs de lys linked to a fillet. In the head top is the Elizabethan coat of arms including the quartered arms of both England and France. Bold raised letters spelling out ‘Feoffees of the Common Lands of Rotherham’ are on the fillet and the head has a representation after a Holbein painting which shows Queen Elizabeth I handing over a charter to Burgesses. The Mace riband also includes the word ‘Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth in 1589’. The Mace column has three ‘knops’; one fluted and the others decorated with oak leaves and acorns. Its terminal has a central band decorated with the coat of arms of Colonel Stoddart and inscribed ‘Nov 1906. Presented to the Feoffees by Col C. J. Stoddart, Mayor’.

Today the Mace is carried by a Mace bearer at the annual Mayor’s service, the Remembrance Day parade and is placed in front of the Greave at each Annual General Meeting of the Feoffees.

Other Memorabilia

To commemorate the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902 the Greave of the Feoffees for that year, (Lieut. Colonel W. L. B. Hirst), with the approval of the Feoffees, presented each boy then attending Rotherham Grammar School, with a bronze medallion. The reverse of this medallion has an image of the Grammar School building and suitably inscribed. The obverse shows images of the heads of the King and Queen. Two of these medallions were presented to the Feoffees in 1974 by Frank Wragg Esq. of Rotherham.

Rotherham Feoffees

is a registered charity (no. 223050)